Tuesday, February 9, 2021

"DO NOT...."

A few nights ago, I had a bad dream that was far to real and emotionally impacting. I woke up, fear had gripped me. Since I could not go back to sleep, I got up and read and studied the Bible. I came away from my time with God with peace and a very clear message.... "DO NOT BE anxious or worried about anything. God will supply your needs. If I give in to anxiety, worry or fear I am no different than the ungodly. I need to remember that I am a child of GOD. He cares for the birds, how much more does He care and provide for me?

There are two major lessons in these two words, "DO NOT"

The First one is Obvious....Don't Do It!

I am stuck on the words "DO NOT." This requires me to make a choice, a decision. No excuses acceptable. I either Will or I Won't.... my choice. There is really NO choice, if you Love God....

"DO NOT" leaves NO room for compromise or "why I can't" excuses. There is NO room for "Well, I'll Try" or " I will do my best" or "God understands...." NO!!! God instructs me to "DO NOT" do it. No anxiety, no fear, no worries - this is not an option. Simply give no room to anxiety, fear or worry. Stop them at the first thought. Don't Do It!!!!! Do Not go there. Make the choice, the decision, that fear, anxiety and worry are not options in my life. When the thoughts come that affect our emotions negatively and in opposition to God's word, stop them from going any further. Do not ponder on them, do not give them the time of day! Decide that I will not give these kind of thougts any space to torment me. Here is what these verses counsel us regarding this issue:

2 Corinthians 10:5 - We tear down arguments and every presumption set up against the knowledge of God; and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Matthew 6:31 - Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

Do not give anxieties, worries or fear any room to think about them and do not talk about them. Do this instead:

Philippians 4:8 - And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

These scriptures are all instructions from God regarding the wise way to handle things.

Apparently, God knows it is possible to follow His instructions or He wouldn't so clearly state, "Do Not be anxious about anything"! Additionally, He must have good reason in giving us those instructions. Finally, remember His Grace is His power on our behalf. Certainly, that must include helping us to do as He instructs.

Read Matthew 6:25-35 and Philippians 4:6

The Second is less obvious, but even more impacting.... not often spoken, but nonetheless obvious...."will you follow My instructions?"

It boils down to my choice to obey (Loving God), or not, and trusting His Counsel or not.

John 14:15 - “If you [really] love Me, you will keep and obey My commandments.

Psalm 21:6 - For the king [confidently] trusts in the LORD, And through the lovingkindness (faithfulness, goodness) of the Most High he will never be shaken.

Jeremiah 17:7 - But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in Him.

Proverbs 29:25 - Don't fall into the trap of being a coward--trust the LORD, and you will be safe.

Will I do according to the instructions of God or will I disregard His counsel? If we really know "Who our God Is", we will obey and trust Him because we Love him and we know He is the All Wise God. His way is the Wise way. He instructs us in order to help us. This is not an attempt to put the law on us. This is His instruction in the wise way to go. These are words of Love. Can't you see...if he cares about clothing the Lilies of the field, and feeding the birds of the air,  how much more does He care for me, His very own children!

Often, when we read God's Word - we often gloss over His instructions, without realizing what we are really doing or thinking. We are essentially silently saying "I could never do that", or some other lie of an excuse. We must understand that when God gives us instructions, He wants to help us to go in the best way to go and He will enable us to do it. That is what Grace is about....His power on our behalf. God is not telling us "Do Not" to be controlling, difficult or to frustrate us. He gives us His instructions to follow because it is the wise way, the best way, the smart way to go. He is trying to help us have peace and success. His way is the way of peace! Besides that, what do we gain by worrying? Sleepless nights? Ulcers?

This is a necessary lesson we must all learn to apply in every area of our life: Trust and obey God. Not because He is a dictator ready to strike us down or punish us for any deviation from His instruction. No! That is NOT Who Our God Is! He is our Loving Father, Great in Mercy. Ephesians 2:4.

He is instructing us in the right way to go because He Loves us. Because it is the Best Way to go. His Way is the tested Way, the Proven Way, the Wise way. His Way is the High Way.

I wonder how many times we make our lives miserable because we do not take His instructions seriously and choose to do things our own way instead.

Proverbs 12:15 - The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to counsel.

"Do Not" be anxious, worried or fearful about anything ..... Not just about what you will eat, drink or wear, but anything.....finances, politics, children, your future.....absolutely anything. Don't Worry about it! Why? Because God cares for you. You belong to Him.

Follow God's instructions, whatever they are, not only because you Love Him, but because that Love causes you to trust that He has your best interest in mind and His counsel is truly the best way to go. You don't need to understand the details. You just need to Know Who Your God is!!!!

Philippians 4:6 - Do not be anxious or worried about anything, but in everything [every circumstance and situation] by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, continue to make your [specific] requests known to God.

Don't be anxious or worried about anything. Not one thing. Alternatively, pray and give God Thanksgiving!

Isaiah 41:10 ‘Do not fear [anything], for I am with you; Do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, be assured I will help you; I will certainly take hold of you with My righteous right hand [a hand of justice, of power, of victory, of salvation].

PRAYER: Father, help me never to take your instructions lightly or ever consider them optional. I desire to show my love for You by my obedience to your Word, by trusting You. Your way is the Wise Way to go, it is the right way. I do not want to be a fool, I will follow your counsel. Thank You for loving me, for Your Mercy and Grace.

On the horizon is "Who Is Your God - 6 ???!!! 

God Is our Good, Good God!!!! 

1 comment:

  1. He shows us the way to go, and empowers us to do it. This is good news! I do not want to put myself on the throne, by doing what makes sense to me, or feels most natural to me. (Which often is worry!) I want to follow Him, my loving God.

    ReplyDelete