Wednesday, September 2, 2020

God is Guiding Me

Have you ever been lost? Or at least you didn't know where you were or which way to go? These situations can cause anxiety, fear and stress.

When Duane and I were in Israel, we (our entire group) were given a few hours to shop. Shopping in Israel is nothing like shopping here. It was worse than crowded racks squished full of clothes so tight that you can't pull out the item you'd like to see. Shopping in Israel was like the people were the clothes on the crowded racks in the hallways. It was Worse than Menards at the opening of doors on Black Friday (I hate Black Friday shopping!!!) Inside the shops are all extremely packed in. There is barely enough isle space for one person. The items to purchase are crowded. It is chaos in and out of the shops. It was Crazy!

We were given instructions of when and where to meet up with our group. Our instructions were to go to the end and turn right at the barber shop. End? We could find no end. End to us meant out of the shops, like to the END! Outside! We could find no end or outside. We could not find a barber shop! We were lost. We absolutely did not know which way to turn. We were in an unfamiliar place. I began to feel the anxiety rise up within me. I was uptight. Fear was creeping in. It was crowded and chaotic. I held tightly to Duane thinking how much worse it would be if I got separated from him in this sea of heads bobbing and bodies cramming together. There was absolutely NO social distancing going on there!!!

I suddenly remembered, (how could I have forgotten?) I've got a God! The Most High God is MY God! He says He would guide me in the best way to go with His eyes on me! He knows where I am and He knows where I need to go!!! I began to calm down in the midst of the same problem by just remembering that. We were not lost in His view. Before long, what seemed as an accident, but I know it was because God intervened, we found our people! We were no longer lost!!!! Whew!!!!

In my life, there have been times that I am not knowing which way to go. I feel the anxiety rising up. Fear begins to creep in. Thoughts of confusion and uncertainty plague my mind....thoughts whirl in my head...Which way do I go? What if I made a mistake and I should have never been here in the first place? What if I make the wrong turn now? What is the right turn? Where is the end! Where is the Barber Shop? Help!!!!! I am lost? Maybe I should stay where I am, but this is a desert. I am shriveling up here. This can't be where I should stay. Many counselors tell me I must leave this place. But, perhaps if I stay, it will improve. But God????? Where do I go? What do I do? Help me!!!!!

What do the Scriptures say?

     I. Psalm119:105
Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.

So, I begin to inquire of God in His Word.

This is what I found that settled my soul.

     II. Psalm 100:3
Acknowledge that the LORD is God! He made us, and we are his. We are his people, the sheep of his pasture.

#1. The Lord is God! What does that mean to me????

#2. I am His people.

#3. I am a sheep of His pasture

     III. John 10:3-4
The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep recognize his voice and come to him. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
After he has gathered his own flock, he walks ahead of them, and they follow him because they know his voice.

#4. I, as His sheep, recognize His voice

#5. I come to Him

#6. He calls me by my name. What does that mean to me?

#7. He leads me out. He walks ahead of me.

#8. I am His sheep. I follow Him because I know His voice. What does it mean to me? I know His voice? Myself screams, but what if I really don't know His voice. What if I go the wrong way?

First of all, God says His sheep know His voice. So, that means I really DO know His voice. I do???? Yes, His voice is gentle and peaceful. His voice is not one of condemnation, accusation chaos or confusion. His voice is a still small voice, steady and strong. It speaks in ways that make me stronger and fills me with hope.

     IV. Luke 15:4
“If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them gets lost, what will he do? Won’t he leave the ninety-nine others in the wilderness and go to search for the one that is lost until he finds it?

9. Worst case scenario....if I get lost He will leave the flock and He will come searching for me until He finds me. Whew!!!!

     V. Psalm 31:3
For you are my rock and my fortress; and for your name’s sake you lead me and guide me;

10. It is part of who He is: my God who leads and guides me.

Here is a great comment from the Pulpit Commentary:

"Faith establishes a claim to have its anticipations made good."


     VI. Isaiah 49:10
"They will not hunger or thirst, Nor will the scorching heat or sun strike them down; For He who has compassion on them will lead them And will guide them to springs of water.

#11. He has compassion on me. No more hunger or thirst or troubles that wear me down....

12. He will lead me and guide me to springs of water. What does that mean to me? Remember: I have a guarantee because God says so!!!! He WILL lead me. He is not leaving me without help. He is not giving me random instructions that tell me to go to the end and turn right at the barber shop! No!!!!He walks before me and I follow His lead!!!

13. He is guiding me to springs of water. What does that mean to me? He is not taking me to another place where I will hunger and thirst. He is taking me where there is plenty. A continuous supply of life-giving water (Water can represent the Word of God). Springs: cool water, refreshing, fountain, bubbling up, whose waters never fail.

     VII. Isaiah 43:19
Behold, I will do a new thing, Now it shall spring forth; Shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness And rivers in the desert.

14. God is up to something good!!! He is making a way where there seems to be no way. Rivers in this dry place!!!!

     VIII  Jeremiah 31:12
They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will be radiant over the bounty of the LORD—the grain, new wine, and oil, and the young of the flocks and herds. Their life will be like a well-watered garden, and never again will they languish.

15. I will be joyful

16. There will be bounty from the Lord.

17. My life and me will be like a well-watered garden.

18. I will no longer be faint, sorrowful or langushing.

     IX. Psalm 23:1-3
The LORD is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.

19. What promises they are! My God cannot lie! It has to be the way He says!!!

     X. Psalm 5:3
In the morning, O LORD, You hear my voice; at daybreak I lay my plea before You and wait in expectation.

20. I will wait expectantly!

21. God will fulfill his Word to me!


1 comment:

  1. I am walking through a difficult situation and am wondering what to do. Your message, and the verses you shared are helpful, and I will meditate on them! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete