Monday, November 16, 2020

Why Rejoice?

Do you ever wake up grumpy? Even if you have no particular reason to be grumpy, suddenly you can think of plenty of reasons for an attitude that is far less than "Rejoicing".

So, this morning, with encouragement from my dear friend, I began to wonder, "Why Rejoice?"

#1. Simply because we are instructed to do so.

Philippians 4:4 

KJV - Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!

Good News Version - May you always be joyful in your union with the Lord. I say it again: rejoice!

International Standard Version - Keep on rejoicing in the Lord at all times. I will say it again: Keep on rejoicing!

Rejoice Definition: be glad, favorably disposed- leaning toward God to delight in God's grace. Be consciously glad for His Grace.

The Message Bible: Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him!

1 Thessalonians 5:16 - Rejoice at ALL times!

#2. It is fitting, it becometh, it is suitable, it is beautiful for the ones who are Righteous to Rejoice in the Lord. 

Psalm 33:1 - Rejoice in the LORD, O righteous ones; it is fitting for the upright to praise Him.

Psalm 146:1Praise the LORD! How good to sing praises to our God! How delightful and how fitting!

#3.  Being reminded to Rejoice in the Lord is a safeguard for us, for our faith.

Philippians 3:1 - Whatever happens, my dear brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord. I never get tired of telling you these things, and I do it to safeguard your faith.

#4. Rejoicing in the Lord keeps us from depending on flesh (human efforts).

Philippians 3:3 - For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh,

#5. No matter how it appears, we Rejoice in hope, which is our confident expectation that God is at work in our situation to do good and fulfill His Word to us.

Romans 12:12 - Rejoice in hope; be patient in affliction; be persistent in prayer.

#6. It is the example of David, the "Man after God's own heart".

Psalm 145:1-3 - I will extol thee, my God, O king; and I will bless thy name for ever and ever. Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever. Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.

Psalm 146:1-3 - Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul. While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have my being. Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

Psalm 149:1-4 Praise the LORD! Sing to the LORD a new song, His praise in the assembly of the godly! Let Israel be glad in his Maker; let the children of Zion rejoice in their King! Let them praise his name with dancing, making melody to him with tambourine and lyre! For the LORD takes pleasure in his people; He adorns the humble (needy) with salvation (deliverance, aid, prosperity, victory).

Psalm 5:11 -But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.

There simply is no stopping.....Read Psalm Chapter  92; Psalm Chapter 118; Psalm 32:11.

Finally, Proverbs 29:6 - An evil man is ensnared in his transgression, but a righteous man sings and rejoices.

So, Rejoice in the Lord and again, I say Rejoice in the Lord....

    * It is God's instruction to us. 

     * It is what those who are Righteous do. 

     * It is a safeguard to us to be reminded to Rejoice in the Lord. 

     * Rejoicing in the Lord keeps us from depending on our own human efforts. 

     *Rejoicing in Hope keeps us strong in our expectation of God's help. 

     *Rejoicing in the Lord is the example and advice set for us by David. 

A last thought to ponder....who was put out in front when they marched around Jericho? Why?






No comments:

Post a Comment