Saturday, October 24, 2020

Steady. Steady as she goes....

Yesterday, I was thinking "Steady. Steady as she goes".

I knew nothing about sailing or sails or what that really meant. Being the curious person that I am, I couldn't let it go, I wanted to know what that was all about.

The meaning for "steady", to my understanding is to "Hold still". The dictionary definition that is familiar to me is: "firmly fixed, supported, or balanced; not shaking or moving."

Nautical terms:

Steady” = reduce swing as rapidly as possible. Steady as she goes” = Steer a steady course on the compass heading indicated at the time of the order.

The Nautical meaning of "Steady" or "Steady as she goes" does not mean to "Hold still". Apparently, it has to do with direction, not speed or my previous understanding of "Steady".

  • So, which way am I going? Do my sails need a quick adjustment? 
  • Am I swinging one way to another?
  • Or..... 
  • Do I need to stay on course? Which meant to me, "Watch out! There are things working against me to throw me off course! Keep on the right course!!!" "Steady as she goes!" It is an order from the helmsman, who in my case, is Jesus!!!

Let's look at some scriptures about this issue and ask ourselves the following questions as  we read...

  1. Am I, according to the nautical explanation, "swinging"? 
  2. Are my instructions to "Steady"? Do I need to get adjusted in the right direction and stop swinging (off course)?
  3. Am I on course?
  4. Am I aware and on guard for things that would get me off track?
  5. How do I get on course?
  6. How do I stay on course

Hebrews 10:23
Let us hold fast without wavering (swinging) to the hope that we profess, for He Who promised is faithful; 

Hebrews 3:12-15
Be careful then, dear brothers and sisters. Make sure that your own hearts are not evil and unbelieving, turning you away from the living God. You must warn each other every day, while it is still “today,” so that none of you will be deceived by sin and hardened against God. For if we are faithful to the end, trusting God just as firmly as when we first believed, we will share in all that belongs to Christ. Remember what it says:

“Today when you hear his voice,

don’t harden your hearts

as Israel did when they rebelled.”


Ephesians 4:11-14
And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.

Psalm 119:133
Keep steady my steps according to your promise, and let no iniquity get dominion over me.

Psalm 16:8
I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

2 Thessalonians 3:5
May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ.

1 Corinthians 16:13-14
Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong. And do everything with love.

James 1:12
God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. 

Hebrews 10:35-36
You need to persevere, so that after you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised.

Hebrews 6:15
And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise

Psalm 130:5-6
I wait [patiently] for the Lord, my soul [expectantly] waits, and in His word do I hope. My soul waits for the Lord. More than the watchmen for the morning;
More than the watchmen for the morning.

Luke 6:46-49
“So why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord!’ when you don’t do what I say? I will show you what it’s like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows it. It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built. But anyone who hears and doesn’t obey is like a person who builds a house right on the ground, without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against that house, it will collapse into a heap of ruins.”

Psalm 112:7-8
They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the LORD to care for them. They are confident and fearless and can face their foes triumphantly.

Isaiah 26:3-4
You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! Trust in the LORD always, for the Lord God is the eternal Rock.

There is so much to ponder in the scriptures above regarding the idea of "Steady" and "Steady as she goes". I pray you will meditate on those verses and ask God what needs re-adjusting in your life. It is so necessary that we stay on the path as directed by our helmsman, Jesus,  in spite of what comes against us to get us off course. "Steady!!!! Steady as she goes!!!!

This quote spoke to my ponderings:

"One ship drives east and other drives west by the same winds that blow. It's the set of the sails and not the gales that determines the way they go."



1 comment:

  1. I find my emotions take me off course, so instead...I need to go to His Word to guide me. His Word must be trusted more than my emotions.

    ReplyDelete