Monday, April 13, 2020

The Lord is my Shepherd


I have been pondering the verses in Psalm chapter 23 most of the day. I know this is a well known portion of scripture, but still, I want to bring our attention to this Psalm and take notice of how complete and loving the care of our Shepherd is toward us.

Please read:

The LORD is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.

He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.

He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.

Even when I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.

Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.

You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.

You honor me by anointing my head with oil.

My cup overflows with blessings.

Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the LORD
forever.

I realize that it can be easy to read something, but not really ponder what is written to let the thoughts soak in and make an impact in our life. So, ponder these words with me....

#1
The Lord is my Shepherd....
He is our Shepherd....a Shepherd's primary responsibilities are knowing, feeding, leading and protecting his flock.

#2
God sees to it that we have all we need. Remember the New Testament...

1 Timothy 6:17 ..... Their trust should be in God, who richly gives us all we need for our enjoyment.

Philippians 4:19 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Matthew 6:33 But make His Kingdom and righteousness your chief aim, and then these things shall all be given you in addition.

Roman's 8:32 Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won’t he also give us everything else?

Matthew 21:22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”

#3
He lets me rest = recline, to stretch out. One could not do that if they were fearful or anxious. The Shepherd is obviously taking care of his flock completely. We are His flock. No need to worry. Just rest in His care.

#4
"In green meadows" gives me the image of lush, plenty of food, enjoyable and relaxing. Much different than a desert with a few sparse weeds.

#5
He leads me beside peaceful streams. Peaceful, not rushing waters or flooded rivers. Easy to get a drink with no fear of being washed away.

#6
He renews my strength/soul=restores me, revival from death, return to a course of life. He revives me and reinvigorates me when I am exhausted and weary.

#7
He guides me along right paths. Paths of pleasantness. We have God directing us in the best way to go!

#8
Bringing Honor to His Name--God's providential dealings are recognized in accordance with His character for great graciousness. To magnify His Name as a gracious and merciful God.

#9
Even when I walk through the darkest valley....there will be dark and difficult times, but I will walk THROUGH them. I will come out on the other side!!!

#10
I will not be afraid. Things could be fear instigators. But I WILL not be afraid. Why?

#11
for my Shepherd, (God Himself) is close beside me. He is right there, right where I am, for whatever I need!

#12
Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. He protects me and pulls me out of any predicament or trouble. He is my  rescuer.

#13
You prepare a feast for me. Not just a little dab to tide me over. He prepares a feast!!!

#14
in the presence of my enemies. Ha! I can sit down and enjoy a feast and the enemy can only stand by and watch. No harm will come near me!

#15
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.

“You anointed my head with oil” Psalm 23:5b - Hope for Israel
https://hope4israel.org/anointed-head-oil-psalm-235b/

#16
My cup overflows with blessings.
Overflows, not just a drip in the bottom. Overflowing!!! With Blessing, Not Curses! Good Not Bad! Desirable and Pleasant!

#17
Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life.

Goodness of God.....how much better can that be? Unfailing Love! His Love never fails! It chases me down ALL the days of my life. How about That!!!

#18
I will live in the house of the LORD
forever. What a guarantee!

So, meditate on the depths of what is  written. Our God IS an Awesome God and we are in His Care!

No comments:

Post a Comment