Monday, April 6, 2020

"Wall of Resistance"


The way I grew up taught me not to trust people or God. I had subconsciously built a "Wall of Resistance" around me, as if to say, "if I don't expect anything or trust anyone, nobody can disappoint me or hurt me."

The "Wall" that I had constructed to protect myself, was actually preventing me from letting people and God into my life, on more than just a superficial level. If you don't let them in, you minimize risk and you don't need to trust them. So, you won't be let down. On the other hand, you won't experience the benefits of a deeper, true relationship, either.

I have spoken previously about when I was very ill, facing a possible divorce with a diagnosis of a miserable life physically and an early death due to an autoimmune disease. It was then that, out of desperation, I had begun to study God's Word and asked for His help to change me and expressed my desire to enjoy my every day life and learn to live in Peace. I was studying the Bible daily, listening to Joyce Meyer daily and learning to obey God. My life, my physical, emotional and mental health and my marriage all were improving. I was building a confidence in who God was and what He said, I was starting to obey Him, yet, I knew there was more.....

By the time I was in my early 40s, I began to realize that I had never really trusted anyone, let alone God. I had trusted my husband only enough to marry him. I had trusted God only enough to become born again and to begin to learn and obey His Word, however, I had not trusted either of them enough to totally yield myself to them, to relinquish control or rather, attempt to control, to relax and be at peace - really trusting their Word, their character or their faithfulness.

One morning, as I sat in my chair in the loft of the home we had built, everything externally was peaceful... it was spring, the birds were happy, the grass was green, the trees were in full bloom and the morning sun was shining in on me. It was my favorite place to be, the best time of the day and the best time of the year, however, internally, I was disrupted. God was posing this question to my heart, "Will you Trust Me?
                     ...... Will you Trust Me?
                        ...... Will you Trust Me?"

I responded, "How? I don't know how? What will it be like?" I was scared. It was like I was on a high cliff and I had to jump into the water, but I don't know how to swim, I didn't know how deep the water was or if I would hit rocks. Would someone rescue me? Really? It was like being on a zipline and I didn't know if the line was solidly attached and I can't see the end! "Trust, but where would it lead me? Trust, but what will happen? Trust, but will I sink? Will I drown? Trust you, God, but I don't know what that will be like. Do I dare?" I knew God was asking me come further with Him.

Then the thought provoking question came to me from God,  "Will you DARE...... to Trust Me?" I was worried that if I didn't choose to Dare to Trust God, that it might be the last time I would have the opportunity. I felt that I had to choose.....TO Trust or NOT to Trust...God. Choose to stay in my own prison walls or choose to dare to Trust God.

I was scared, but I knew that my life had been greatly improving as I had been learning from and obeying God. I had learned that doing things my own way was the way to frustration, at the very least. I was tired of trying to keep my walls up to protect myself from every presumed and assumed problem. It was exhausting and still unpredictable. 

 So, I said, "Yes. I will Dare to Trust You, but I don't know how!!! You have to teach me!" I sat there and cried and I cried. It was like those internal "Walls of Resistance" were falling down as I sat there. Now tears come down again, as I write.

I wrote about my Miss Daisy experience in a previous post where I had made the commitment that I would trust God at least as much as I had just trusted in a machine! That happened in the same timeframe as what I share today. It's easy to Say, " I will trust You, Lord". It's completely another thing to actually do it!

As the days went on, I began to learn what this scripture meant, "The just shall live by faith." If anyone would have asked me before what it meant to live by faith, I wouldn't have had a clue how to answer. It seemed like it would be like something from a space alien movie.

In previous days, I learned had three foundational things that have changed my life. They are principles that daily guide me even now. I think they are keys to obeying and to trusting God.

#1 God cannot lie! Titus 1:2 

It is impossible for God to Lie! Hebrews 6:18
      
God is not a man that he should lie! Numbers 23:19


#2 The sum of Your Word is Truth. Psalm 119:160
Your Word is Truth John 17:17
Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Proverbs 30:5

For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory  of God in us. 2 Corinthians 1:20


#3 God is Faithful 1 Corinthians 1:9; 2 Thessalonians 3:3; 2 Timothy 2:13

So, this is what I am convinced of: God absolutely cannot lie. His Word is True. So, whatever He says HAS to be so, whether it makes sense or not. Regardless of what the other reports say or what it looks like naturally or what I feel. God cannot lie. His Word is True. I will not call Him a liar! God IS Faithful. He will do what He says. The question is not, "Is God Faithful?" The question is, "Will I remain faithful to God. Will I stick with His Word...no matter what?

When I am convinced that God cannot lie and His Word is True and He will not go back on His Word. My fears are irrational. Trusting Him makes sense, because I am convinced He is Trustworthy, even though I don't see the full picture or have the details. I am convinced He will not fail me.

In the years after that day in my loft, I have learned that Living by Faith in God is a simple matter of choosing. Choosing first to Dare to Trust God.

Secondly, find out what God has to say about the matter at hand. Find at least 3 scriptures that agree to keep from being in error. 

Finally,  make the decision and don't back down, that what God has to say about your situation is the Truth because God cannot lie. You choose to put your Trust in Him, in His Word and in His faithfulness to fulfill it. The just shall live by faith. It is a far better way!

There is no faith in God without having His Word regarding the issue, because faith comes from hearing and hearing by the Word of God. Faith is believing that what God's Word says is SO....... it has to be SO or I am calling God a liar. I can't do that, can you? Then Know that God WILL DO as He says He will do. It IS safe to Trust God!

I have seen many Christian's be mad at God because they think He failed them regarding a certain issue. Listen! God will never fail to fulfill His Word that we put our confident trust in. He will fulfill He Word with signs following if we will just believe it. It is not so hard if you will let the "Walls of Resistance" be torn down by "Daring to Trust God".

I think of the Israelites as they were leaving the bondage of Egypt with the Word of God telling them the will inherit the Promised Land. Why were Joshua and Caleb the only ones of that generation who actually experienced the Promise and entered the Promised Land?

 Joshua and Caleb held on to what God promised them. After they and the other spies had inspected the land, Joshua and Caleb were confident in the Lord, saying, "we are well able to take this land! God is with us!"

On the other hand, the remainder of the Israelites refused to trust what God had told them and evaluated their situation on what they saw and what they felt instead. They actually opposed God. They certainly, were not faithful to God! They didn't believe what God said was true. They did not believe in the nature of God, that it is impossible for God to lie. They missed out on what God promised them. God fulfilled His Word to the 2nd generation of Israelites who went into the Promised land with Joshua and Caleb.

So, today, do you have a "Wall of Resistance" built up?

Are you ready to let that wall be torn down?
Will you Dare to Trust God?

Are you willing to choose to make your decisions based on God's Word, not on how it appears, or how it feels or what other reports say?

Are you willing to call God a liar by not trusting Him?

Will you humble yourself and say to God. I believe you are not a man that you would lie. I believe your Word is True. It HAS to be the way You say it is and I believe You will do what You said You will do.

Will you PUT your trust in God and not back down?

Choose today.....To Trust or not to Trust.... God.

Without that "Trust" Faith, it is impossible to please God.

The just shall Live by faith....every issue, every moment. Every day. It is a far better way.

Psalm 115:11
You who fear the LORD, trust in the LORD! He is their help and shield.

Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.

Psalm 31:14
But I am trusting you, O LORD, saying, “You are my God!”

No comments:

Post a Comment