Saturday, May 30, 2020

Be Quiet!!!

I used to think I could say whatever I wanted to, to whomever I chose with no restraint, with no self control or consideration for another.

When I was angry or frustrated, I could tell someone off with skill! Unfortunately,  I had learned effectively from example and by practice. But just because I wanted to say whatever negative, hurtful thing that came to my mind, just because I felt justified to say whatever I wanted and because I was quite capable to do so, didn't mean that it was smart to do so.

There were some hard lessons I went through in the process of learning to deal wisely with my tongue.

Proverbs 10:8
The wise are glad to be instructed, but babbling fools fall flat on their faces.

Proverbs 10:13
Wise people treasure knowledge, but the babbling fool invites disaster.

It is not so sweet when you find out you are a babbling fool. How many times do we need to fall flat on our faces or experience disaster before we find out that gaining instruction and treasuring up that knowledge to become wise is far better than the results of being a babbling fool, saying whatever I want, whenever I want, to whomever I want because I can?

Proverbs 10:17
People who accept discipline are on the pathway to life. Those who ignore correction will go astray.

Discipline is not easy, but if you want to experience the life Jesus came to give us, you'd better start learning that God's way is the Right Way to go and humble yourself to receive correction and discipline to learn to live His way.

Proverbs 10:19
Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut.

Keep my mouth SHUT!!!! Say what? I never had considered that way of handling things. That was a new thought to me. Too much talk = sin??? Really? Stop and think about that for awhile!

Proverbs 11:11-12
Upright citizens are good for a city and make it prosper, but the talk of the wicked tears it apart. It is foolish to belittle ones neighbor, a sensible person keeps quiet.

Proverbs 11:25
The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed.

Proverbs 13:3
Those who control their tongue will have a long life; opening your mouth can ruin everything.

No wonder things weren't going very well for me, I was inviting my own destruction by not controlling what I said. I tore down my own neighbor instead of refreshing them. I was a fool with my own tongue. I had no one to blame but myself.

Proverbs 17:27-28
A truly wise person uses few words; a person with understanding is even tempered. Even fools are thought wise when they keep silent; with their mouth shut they seem intelligent.

That scripture cured me! I had enough of being a fool and didn't want to be that way any longer.

Proverbs 18:21
The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.

Are you liking the consequences of what you are saying, if not consider holding your tongue. 

Ponder these additional scriptures and respond according to the wise way!


Proverbs 10:19 ESV


When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent.

Ephesians 4:29


Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Psalm 19:14


Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Matthew 12:36-37


I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”



Proverbs 21:23


Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.

Proverbs 17:27


Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding.


Colossians 3:8


But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.

Proverbs 15:4 


A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit.

James 1:26


If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.



There are many more scriptures that talk about this subject. If those haven't convinced you to guard your mouth, then you need to ponder these scriptures longer and remember that God's Word is true, He cannot lie. If you do not like the way your life is going, perhaps you should do a review on the words you are speaking and be quiet until you can use your words wisely.

If you see that the words you have been speaking are not pleasing to God and you do not want to be a fool with your words any longer. Ask God to forgive you. Repent (turn your behavior around so as to do differently) and ask God to help you do what is wise with the words of your mouth. You will be surprised how His grace (His power extended to you to help you) comes in with what you need to change, if you are serious about doing it God's way.

No comments:

Post a Comment