Thursday, May 21, 2020

Moving Forward?


What happens when you are quite confident that God is directing you into something new....a new job, a new relationship, a new business, a new ministry, a new direction or addition to what you already are doing and you think that this is the right path to take, however, every thought in your head is causing you a dilemma.

Words like: "Who do you think you are? You are not trained for this! People will think you're arrogant, they already think you are, you know!!!! You are not educated formally to do this!!! You Can't do this! You will Fail! You've Never done this before! You will be rejected! Nobody will come! They will kick you out! Who wants to listen to you, anyway?!!! You are crazy to even think you have heard from God about this!

These thoughts create in me fear of failure, fear of rejection and fear of man.

How do you deal with all of that? What will you do now?

1. Evaluate.
Evaluate what you are thinking of doing. Ask yourself reasonable, non-condemning questions like: Is this sinful or selfish? Would this be pleasing to God? Standing before God, can I be confident if I do this or would I hang my head in repentance? Do I desire this or do I feel pressured against my will?

2. Count the costs.
Ask questions like: What will it mean for me to do this? Am I willing to be committed to this endeavor? If I were to fail, would I see that my efforts were honest, at the very least? If I don't do this, will I regret that I hadn't pursued it, always wondering 'what if'? What are the potential positive impacts on other people if I pursue? What are the potential negative impacts on other people if I do not pursue this? What are the costs to me.....time, energy, financially, stress, family commitments...? Does this whole idea even sound like something God would ask me to do? Does this follow His Nature, His Character, His Word, His Love????

If after pondering all of this, you're fairly certain that moving forward is still the thing to do, your desire to press forward won't leave you alone and you see that it is good for your benefit, for the benefit of others and pleasing to God, but all the negative, condemning thoughts still plague you....
What do you do now?

3. What does God say???
You must find out what God says about this situation? You ask God what He has to say....if truly God is leading you to move forward you will find His encouragement and confirmation in His Word. His Word will motivate you, convince you more and inspire you.

If you are being led astray, God will make that clear to you, as well. If you have a humble heart you will yield to God's counsel even if it opposes your ideas and desire. If you are determined to do things your own way, apart from the counsel of God, in spite of what God says, you may be on a path to learn things the hard way, like the prodigal son.

Let's assume this is a positive situation. You are really confident that what is in your heart and mind to do really is God directing you, but the thoughts plague you and you know that if you do this, it would definitely push you out of your comfort zone.

4. Judge.
Judge the plaguing thoughts...in this case the thoughts are condemning, critical, negative, defeating and even harsh. Does that sound like "Love"? Would a Loving God talk to me in such a way? Even if I were on a pathway that God opposed, would He talk to me like that? No! No one who really loves me would use those words to help me on the right path!

5. Identify.
I identify those negative thought to be those of the enemy in effort to cause me to back off due to fear and derail me from the direction I believe I am to go. He must be afraid that if I follow through, it would not be in his best interest. He wants to steal from me, kill what God wants to do in me and through me and destroy what God wants to do in my life that has the potential of making a difference in the lives of people for God's purposes.

6. God's Perspective.
Next - the biggest of all issues....what does God's Word have to say about me moving forward in this?

1 Thessalonians 5:24
The One calling you is faithful, who also will do it.

2 Corinthians 9:8
And God is able to make every grace overflow to you, so that in every way, always having everything you need, you may excel in every good work.

Hebrews 13:6, 7
So we can say with confidence, “The LORD is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?” Remember your leaders, those who have spoken God's word to you. Think about the impact of their lives, and imitate their faith.

Hebrews 13:20-21
Now may the God of peace—
who brought up from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great Shepherd of the sheep,
and ratified an eternal covenant with his blood— may he equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he produce in you, through the power of Jesus Christ,
every good thing that is pleasing to him.
All glory to him forever and ever! Amen.

Philippians 1:6
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

Philippians 2:13
For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.

Roman's 8:28
And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. 

Acts 4:13
Now as they observed the confidence of Peter and John and understood that they were uneducated and untrained (common) men, they were amazed, and began to recognize them as having been with Jesus.
Shall I continue?

7. Deal with the Fear.
How do you handle the fear? What did Jesus tell Jairus when his people came out and said your daughter is dead...? Jesus told Jairus, "Do not be afraid, Only Believe."

What did God tell Joshua on the brink of a new responsibility that he had never encountered before?

Joshua 1:8-9
Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”

Hebrews 10:38
but my righteous one shall live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him.”

Proverbs 29:25
It is dangerous to be concerned with what others think of you, but if you trust the LORD, you are safe.

Those verses show me that I Can Choose not to be afraid. Jesus tells me that I need to deal with fear. He says simply "Do Not Fear! Ha! you say! Easy to say, not so easy to do! 

Dealing with fear requires choosing what I  think about and what I say. I can choose to do as the Isralites did in the Wilderness and focus on what I don't like and complain about everything that was wrong, uncomfortable, fear producing and visually impossible and I will not progress to fulfill God's plan for me...........

Or.........

I can agree with God, think and speak words of confidence in what God says and in Who He is and stay on God's side, in spite of the circumstances and negatives from other voices like Joshua and Caleb did. If I respond in that manner, fear will not have any say in my life, because I choose to think God's way and give no room to fear or the enemy. I will be spiritually minded (thinking in accordance with God), which is life, not carnally minded, (thinking in accordance with what is naturally perceived by senses, emotions and circumstances), which is death. It is in trusting God and being willing to move forward that I stay on the path of fulfilling God's plans for me.

So, instead of thinking thoughts that promote fear of man, fear of rejection and fear failure, all of which are inspired by the enemy and focused on the natural, carnally minded way of perceiving things, I choose to respond from God's point of view.

Let's continue...

What else does God tell me? I am NOT apart from God. I am NOT without God in this world. He is with me. He is for me and NOT against me! In fact, if God is for me, WHO can be against me???? Who dares to defy God!  God actually dwells in me! The Spirit of God, himself, dwells in me and quickens my mortal body. He empowers me. He strengthens me. I live and move and have my being in Him. He is my Protector! He, God Himself, is a shield around me - imagine that!!!!. He never leaves me and He will never forsake me. He will not let me fail. He makes me More than a Conqueror! He goes before me to prepare the way. He walks with me! He guides me in the best path to take and He goes behind me as my rear guard!!! He will open doors and shut doors as needed to keep me going in the right direction. He gives me favor with man, but if man does reject me I should not be surprised, for they actually rejected Jesus! If I go somewhere that they do not receive me, I am instructed to Shake the Dust off my feet and go to a different town! Just move on!!!

Isaiah 41:13
"For I am the LORD your God, who upholds your right hand, Who says to you, 'Do not fear, I will help you.'

Well, if you are not convinced by now.....at least I certainly am.

No comments:

Post a Comment