Monday, May 4, 2020

Watch out for the spark!!!!!

We all deal with people...we live with them, we work with them, we interact with them in multiple ways, some multiple times per day. We have friends, we may even have those we don't care to be friends with. Some people we enjoy spending time with, some we'd rather not spend time with...Those we enjoy being with, at times, we find we don't want to be around! Even in times of  lockdown and social distancing issues, there seems to always be people in our lives that we have to "Deal" with.

Obviously, when the relationships and  interactions are enjoyable and without conflict, it's no big "Deal".

However, in even the best and closest relationships, we can get irritated, frustrated, offended, hurt, neglected, misunderstood, made to feel unimportant and unwanted, not appreciated, not heard and ... even .... angry....

Most people respond to these issues and negative emotions verbally. We tend to react with negative verbal responses, to be specific. We accuse with our words. We assume and presume with our words. We condemn, criticize and complain with our words. We are sassy, sarcastic, sharp and snide with our words. We are disrespectful, discourteous, discouraging and downright rude with our words.

As children of God, these should not be our responses in dealing with others.

James 3:2, 5-6, 10-12
For we often stumble and fall, all of us. If there is any one who never stumbles in speech, that man has reached maturity of character and is able to curb his whole nature.

 ......the tongue is an insignificant part of the body, but it is immensely boastful. Remember how a mere spark may set a vast forest in flames. And the tongue is a fire.

Out of the same mouth there proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, this ought not to be. In a fountain, are fresh water and bitter sent forth from the same opening? Can a fig-tree, my brethren, yield olives, or a vine yield figs? No; and neither can salt water yield sweet.

James 1:26
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless.

James 5:9
Do not complain (grumble, groan with frustration) about one another, brothers, so that you will not be judged. Look, the Judge is standing at the door!

Ouch, ouch and ouch!!!!

It seems to be a tendency for us to excuse our uncontrolled tongue, saying, "I can't help it" or, "Well it is True" or "They deserve it!" Or,  "everyone stumbles in what they say", as if we are justified in saying whatever we want or feel like saying! 

Take notice of James 3:2 again, "If there is any one who never stumbles in speech, that man has reached maturity of character."

So, by saying whatever I feel like saying, I am actually revealing my level of maturity. My character is lacking. What I say is exposing what I am thinking. My mouth is bringing to light what is really in my heart. 

Matthew 12:34
You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.

Matthew 15:11
Not that which entereth into the mouth defileth the man; but that which proceedeth out of the mouth, this defileth the man.

Defiles= renders a man common,  in opposition to "separate" for God's use.

My questions to myself and now to you, in response to the scriptures above are:

1. How mature am I? If my mouth speaks evil, am I still walking as a natural, carnal person. Is my character lacking? Am I  immature? According to God's Word, the answer is, "Yes!"

2. Is my religion worthless????!!!
If I am not controlling what I say, am I fooling myself?  The answer again is, "Yes!"

3. Do I want to be judged?
If I continue to complain, grumble and groan in frustration about another person am I am laying up judgment for myself when judgment day comes? Do I want that? Is it worth it to speak harshly, condemning and criticizing this person for whatever reason. For Any reason?

Reflection and honesty with ourselves is always a good idea!

Well, so......how do I handle this mouth and tongue problem?

David says in: Psalm 39:1
I said, "I will watch my ways so that I will not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth with a muzzle as long as the wicked are present."

Proverbs 10:19
When words are many, sin is unavoidable, but he who restrains his lips is wise.

Proverbs 13:3
He who guards his mouth protects his life, but the one who opens his lips invites his own ruin.

Proverbs 21:23
He who guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from distress.


Psalm 34:13
Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.

Obviously, I am capable to control what I say. God has given me the spirit of self control and His grace to be able to do things His way! I will humble myself and obey! I can restrain what I say. In doing so, I am keeping myself from sin,  distress and ruin. I am showing myself to be wise. According to 1 Peter 3:10, (below), by restraining myself in speech, I will even be well-satisfied and I will experience happy days.

1 Peter 3:10
For "He who wishes to be well-satisfied with life and see happy days-- let him restrain his tongue from evil, and his lips from deceitful words;

Proverbs 12:18
There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.

I want to have a wise tongue!

Proverbs 16:24
Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

I will speak pleasant words that are sweet to the souls who hear them and health to their bones!

Proverbs 31:26
She opens her mouth with wisdom; and on her tongue is the law of kindness. (goodness, mercy, loveliness). 

When I open my mouth, my words will reveal wisdom. I regulate all my words by the law of Kindness.

Proverbs 18:21
What you say can preserve life or destroy it; so you must accept the consequences of your words.

I do not want destruction as the consequence of my words. I will speak words of Life and preserve my life.

Proverbs 10:11
The words of the godly are a life-giving fountain; the words of the wicked conceal violent intentions.


I AM godly and the Words of My mouth are a fountain of life.

Proverbs 17:27-28
A man of knowledge restrains his words, and a man of understanding maintains a calm spirit.
Even fools are thought wise when they keep silent; with their mouths shut, they seem intelligent.

I am a woman of knowledge. I restrain my words. I am a woman of understanding, I maintain a calm spirit. 

Psalm 37:30
NLT
The godly offer good counsel; they teach right from wrong.

NAS
The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom, And his tongue speaks justice.

My mouth will speak wisdom and I will teach right from wrong.

Proverbs 10:31
The mouth of the righteous flows with wisdom, But the perverted tongue will be cut out.

I will meditate on good things. I will not dwell on the wrong things others have done, what they have not done that I think they should have or the harsh or hurtful words they spoken to me. I will not take offense. I forgive them and I am merciful toward them. 

When I speak, my words will reveal a good heart, spiritual maturity, good character and wisdom. I will guard my tongue and keep myself from sin. distress  and ruin. I protect my own life by speaking with wisdom. The law of kindness will regulate what comes from my mouth. I will not set off sparks with the words I speak. I will set a watch over what I say and instead of being destructive, my tongue is a life giving fountain. With my words, I will build up and not tear others down. With my words I will bless others and not curse them. 

The opening of my mouth produces wisdom only!!!

I will keep this tongue of fire under control. What I say will be full of life and blessings to all who hear them. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment