Monday, June 29, 2020

Are you polluting yourself?

About 14 years ago, I became seriously confronted with a problem that I had grown up with. I could see others had this problem, but I didn't see that I was affected with it as well. I did not know I was actually hurting myself.

As I had grown up, I had learned well! My father had this problem, too....Nobody, other than himself, could do anything right - everybody else was a "@#!%^*@! IDIOT!!!!"
Of course, I knew He was wrong, but I never realized that when I behaved like him, I was behaving wrongly, too!

One morning I was thinking about the word "Slander". I became curious, thinking I knew what "Slander" meant, but wondering if I really Knew for certain. Those who know me well, know that, when my curiosity gets going, I am not satisfied with the bare minimum. I become a sleuth.

So, I went up to my corner and began my search.

Webster's Dictionary says "Slander" means:

Noun: A false tale or report maliciously uttered. and tending to injure the reputation of another by lessening him in the esteem of his fellow citizens....
2 Disgrace; reproach; disreputation; ill name.
SLA'NDERverb transitive To defame; to injure by maliciously uttering a false report respecting one; to tarnish or impair the reputation of one by false tales, maliciously told or propagated.
The Hebrew says Slander means: defaming, evil report, whispering.
The Greek meaning of Slander is:  defamation -- backbiting, evil speaking.
The definition is very clear to me...if I speak evil of someone or say things that would injure or make him or her look bad or lessen his or her value in the eyes of another, I am slandering. I argued, "Yes, but Webster's says a false tale or report! But, what I am saying is true!!!!!" In many cases, it may be true in my estimation. According to my view, I may have a solid case, but from anothers view, perhaps not. Slander does damage to someone's good reputation. Slander speaks evil of another, it brings an evil report. Even if it were really, truly true, slander is Not the way to deal with it!

#1. I was GUILTY of Slander! 

I was guilty of speaking negatively of another and attempting to make them look bad in the eyes of other people. Not just once, but as a way of life....a sad, bad habit!!! The appalling part was that I had been copying ways I despised from my childhood. Ways that had been done to me. Ways that had hurt me terribly.
Now to the shocking details....
Proverbs 10:18 says "He who conceals hatred has lying lips, And he who spreads slander is a fool."
#2. I was the FOOL!!!! 
ME the FOOL.....Not the one I was bad-mouthing and effectively working to bring down their reputation to others. I WAS THE FOOL!!!! I was justifying what I was saying negatively about another because I assessed my view point accurate and them wrong and Somebody Needed to Know!!! I was the just the One who was going to make certain others knew! Just listen to me!!!! Yep, I was the FOOL....no question and no doubt about it.

I hadn't known what I had been doing was wrong until that morning, when I was in my corner, and God by His Word and His Spirit began to put a searchlight on my heart, on my attitude, on my words and on my behavior. He began to reveal the truth to me. I began to be convicted, but that was only the beginning.
Roman's 14:4
Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
The Message Bible:
Do you have any business crossing people off the guest list or interfering with God’s welcome? If there are corrections to be made or manners to be learned, God can handle that without your help.
James 4:11-12
Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. And if you judge the law, you are not a practitioner of the law, but a judge of it. There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

Luke 6:37
“Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven.

#3 I am not the Judge of another! 
If another needs to be corrected or changed, God can handle that without my help!!!! Who Do I think I am, anyway???? Do I want to be judged or condemned like I am judging or condemning others? Yikes!!!!

Mark 7:21-23
For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.”

#4. Slander is Evil. Slander Defiles me!!!
Defiles: violates me, makes me dirty-unclean, pollutes me, makes what is sacred common.

My heart sank within me as I grieved in response to this information. 

Colossians 3:8 Contemporary English Version:
But now you must stop doing such things. You must quit being angry, hateful, and evil. You must no longer say insulting or cruel things about others.

New Living Translation:
But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language.

1 Peter 2:1
Rid yourselves, therefore, of all malice, deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander

#5. Just Stop!!!
Stop Speaking Slander! Get rid of it! Lay it aside. Renounce it. Decide that slander will no longer be acceptable in my life - in my speech. It is opposed to God's way. It is evil. It defiles me. Speaking slanderously makes me the Fool!

Proverbs 11:12 NLT:
It is foolish to belittle one’s neighbor; a sensible person keeps quiet.
Contemporary English Version:
It's stupid to say bad things about your neighbors. If you are sensible, you will keep quiet.

International Standard Version
Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense, but the discerning man controls his comments.

James 1:26
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless.

Proverbs 17:28
After all, even fools may be thought wise and intelligent if they stay quiet and keep their mouths shut.

Proverbs 13:3
The one who guards his mouth preserves his life; The one who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.

#6. Control My Tongue!!! Better to keep my mouth shut!!! 
Nothing more needs to be said about that!!!

Ephesians 4:9
Let no unwholesome words ever pass your lips, but let all your words be good for benefiting others according to the need of the moment, so that they may be a means of blessing to the hearers.

Psalm 141:3
Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips.


Proverbs 10:31
From the mouth of the righteous comes the fruit of wisdom, but a perverse tongue will be silenced.

Proverbs 31:26
She opens her mouth in wisdom, And the teaching of kindness is on her tongue

#7 Speak wisely! Speak words that build others up and never tear them down.

Oh God, I see what you are telling me. I don't want to be a fool any longer. I want to do what is pleasing in your eyes. I know your counsel is right. I know I needed your correction. I am sorry, please forgive me of all the words of slander that have come from my mouth. Cleanse me of all my sin. Heal the wounds I have caused in others by my slanderous words. I do not want to speak this evil slander any longer. I do not want to judge others as I have been judging them. You can handle that without my interference. I do not want to pollute myself with slander any longer. Help me to bridle my tongue. Help me to speak wisdom only and if I can't say anything beneficial to build up those who hear, then help me be wise and keep my mouth shut! I want to obey, but Father, I am so skilled at slandering that I do not trust myself to obey ....Help me, please. AMEN

Roman's 5:2
through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we boast in the hope of the glory of God.

Ephesians 2:8
For it is by grace you have been saved (rescued, delivered, healed...) through faith, and this not from yourselves; it is the gift of God,

Hebrews 4:16
So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.

#8 By His Grace through faith....I can do all things through Christ who makes me able!

Caution: this is not a one time lesson. Many times and even now, 14 years later, I find opportunity to again become slanderous. It is a trap of the enemy to get me to again be a fool, do evil and defile myself. The only sensible choice is to submit to God's way and keep the door shut! 

Titus 3:1-2
Remind your people to submit to rulers and authorities, to obey them, and to be ready to do good in every way. Tell them not to speak evil of anyone, but to be peaceful and friendly, and always to show a gentle attitude toward everyone. 

#9 I will speak evil of no one.

Hebrews 12:6
The Lord corrects the people he loves and disciplines those he calls his own."

Proverbs 3:12
For the LORD corrects those he loves, just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights.

#10 God Loves Me!!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment