Monday, June 8, 2020

Don't Stop....

This morning a song came to my mind from when I was a kid. All I could remember was "Don't Stop Believing....Hold on." complete with the music and the voice of the artist. I had no idea what the rest of the lyrics were, I looked it up and the lyrics other that what I had recalled are not impressive, rather depressing, but "Don't Stop Believing....Hold On." stuck with me. I needed to hear that this morning.....perhaps you do, as well.

I was Discouraged. Frustrated. Irritated. Annoyed. Downcast. Defeated. Anxious, Uptight. Angry....I had a headache besides my face hurt because my jaws were clenched. Let's just say. I was fully involved in this downward spiral.

I know this is a tactic of the enemy. He wants us to let our guard down. He wants us to go in the direction of getting us to stop believing what God has to say and release our grip on God's Word. The enemy uses Distractions, Distractions, Distractions! It is so easy to get distracted by things that we perceive we have no control over. Things that we do not like. Things we are not comfortable with. Questions without answers with no apparent direction. "I Do Not Like This, Sam I Am"....Oooops, I have Grandchildren, can't you tell!

Well, What AM I meditating on? Recycling the problems and the issues that are heavy on my heart only achieve all the negative side effects that I just described and make the enemy very happy. I could ponder the issues in 1000's of different ways, and still not have the answers. Asking When? What? How? Why? questions over and over again are not getting me anywhere but miserable. I have no more insight than I had before, but I have effectively achieved a negative mental, even physical level of frustration. So, THIS is not working.

My favorite Pastor, Keith Moore, often says, "What do the Scriptures say?"

So, I ask, "What do the Scriptures say to me today?"

Philippians 4:8-9 New King James

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

Yeah, sure God, but I do not see one thing lovely, true or of good report in this situation. Not one good thing!!!!!

Philippians 4:8-9 Amplified Bible
 Finally, believers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable and worthy of respect, whatever is right and confirmed by God’s word, whatever is pure and wholesome, whatever is lovely and brings peace, whatever is admirable and of good repute; if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think continually on these things [center your mind on them, and implant them in your heart]. The things which you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things [in daily life], and the God [who is the source] of peace and well-being will be with you.

Okay, that helps..... "whatever is right and confirmed by God’s word"!!!! Perhaps there really is nothing good to find in the current situation. We're not necessarily talking about what the situation says, rather what does God say in spite of the situation?

anything worthy of praise, think continually on these things [center your mind on them, and implant them in your heart]. The things which you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things [in daily life], and the God [who is the source] of peace and well-being will be with you.

So, think on the things that are lovely, true and of good report. The things that are right and Confirmed by the Word of God, i.e. what do the Scriptures Say? Think on these things continually. Get what God says down deep in your heart. Not the problems, frustrations, questions, irritations and the unknowns. Practice thinking daily about what is lovely, true and of good report, what does God have to say? So, if you are in a mental, emotional, physical, situational state of disruption, you are not thinking on the things God says to think about. If it doesn't agree with God, it's not something to think on. Satan is always about getting your focus headed in the wrong direction. God is all about your peace and well-being which comes by following His instructions and being a Doer of it! "Don't Stop Believing...Hold On!"

Okay, repetitive, I know, but let's read the Message Bible in Philippians 4. This time let's start at verse 6 and read through verse 9.

Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.
Summing it all up, friends, I’d say you’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.

So, let's do this now.....Think on things that are lovely, true and of good report. Things that are right and confirmed by God's Word. The beautiful, not the ugly. The best, not the worst. Things to praise, not to curse.

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

Hebrews 13:21
may he equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he produce in you, through the power of Jesus Christ, every good thing that is pleasing to him. All glory to him forever and ever! Amen.

Philippians 2:13
For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.

Roman's 8:28
And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.

Ephesians 3:20
Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.

Psalm 32:8
The LORD says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.

Deuteronomy 31:8
 It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”

1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

Isaiah 43:19
For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.

Isaiah 26:3
You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!

1 Thessalonians 5:21
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;

I am not knowing the details of what lies ahead, but I know the things that God says that are certainly true and right. Lovely and a positive report. I will meditate on what He has to say about my situation. 

"Don't Stop Believing....Hold On."

1 comment:

  1. My measure of peace and hope just increased as I read and considered the Scriptures you shared. And I know I need to hold to this line of thought all day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete