Tuesday, June 9, 2020

What an Attitude!

What is our attitude toward God's Word?

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. Psalm 1:1-3

Acts 13:22 
After removing Saul, he made David their king. He testified concerning him: ‘I have found David son of Jesse a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.

1 Samuel 13:14
But now your kingdom must end, for the LORD has sought out a man after his own heart. The LORD has already appointed him to be the leader of his people, because you have not kept the LORD’s command.”

Catch the association between being a man after God's own heart and doing things God's way.

Today I want us to identify all the attitudes/perspectives/actions that David had toward God's Word in just a portion of Psalm 119. I want us to evaluate how our attitudes/perspectives and ultimately our behaviors look compared to what David's were. He was a man after God's own heart who pleased God. Let us allow David to be our example, so we too, can learn to be even more pleasing to God.

This is not an effort to condemn ourselves where we do not measure up, but rather to reveal to us what really pleases God and what causes our lives to really be effective. David was clearly a great King of Israel. In my opinion, he was the Greatest. Some would say Solomon was the greatest. He was the wisest, yet foolish since he promoted idolotray. David is the only one God praised to be a man after His own heart.  David's attitude toward God's Word and his faithfulness to do everything God wanted him to do clearly is an example I want to emulate. I want to be one who pleases God, too.

Let there be no excuses why we could never be like David. Let's allow God to penetrate our hearts. Let us humble ourselves before Him. Let us ask Him to teach us His Word and help us to have the same kind of heart and response toward God as David did, so that we, too, will please God. We will face God one day and give an account. What kind of account will we have? Today is a new day. 


Lamentations 3:22-24
22The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;b
his mercies never come to an end;
23they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

I suggest praying as you read and meditate, repenting as needed and asking God to help you grow in every thing you learn. 

Psalm 119:129-168
Your testimonies are wonderful;
therefore my soul keeps them.
130The unfolding of your words gives light;
it imparts understanding to the simple.
131I open my mouth and pant,
because I long for your commandments.
132Turn to me and be gracious to me,
as is your way with those who love your name.
133Keep steady my steps according to your promise,
and let no iniquity get dominion over me.
134Redeem me from man’s oppression,
that I may keep your precepts.
135Make your face shine upon your servant,
and teach me your statutes.
136My eyes shed streams of tears,
because people do not keep your law.
Tsadhe
137Righteous are you, O LORD,
and right are your rules.
138You have appointed your testimonies in righteousness
and in all faithfulness.
139My zeal consumes me,
because my foes forget your words.
140Your promise is well tried,
and your servant loves it.
141I am small and despised,
yet I do not forget your precepts.
142Your righteousness is righteous forever,
and your law is true.
143Trouble and anguish have found me out,
but your commandments are my delight.
144Your testimonies are righteous forever;
give me understanding that I may live.
Qoph
145With my whole heart I cry; answer me, O LORD!
I will keep your statutes.
146I call to you; save me,
that I may observe your testimonies.
147I rise before dawn and cry for help;
I hope in your words.
148My eyes are awake before the watches of the night,
that I may meditate on your promise.
149Hear my voice according to your steadfast love;
LORD, according to your justice give me life.
150They draw near who persecute me with evil purpose;
they are far from your law.
151But you are near, O LORD,
and all your commandments are true.
152Long have I known from your testimonies
that you have founded them forever.
Resh
153Look on my affliction and deliver me,
for I do not forget your law.
154Plead my cause and redeem me;
give me life according to your promise!
155Salvation is far from the wicked,
for they do not seek your statutes.
156Great is your mercy, O LORD;
give me life according to your rules.
157Many are my persecutors and my adversaries,
but I do not swerve from your testimonies.
158I look at the faithless with disgust,
because they do not keep your commands.
159Consider how I love your precepts!
Give me life according to your steadfast love.
160The sum of your word is truth,
and every one of your righteous rules endures forever.
Sin and Shin
161Princes persecute me without cause,
but my heart stands in awe of your words.
162I rejoice at your word
like one who finds great spoil.
163I hate and abhor falsehood,
but I love your law.
164Seven times a day I praise you
for your righteous rules.
165Great peace have those who love your law;
nothing can make them stumble.
166I hope for your salvation, O LORD,
and I do your commandments.
167My soul keeps your testimonies;
I love them exceedingly.
168I keep your precepts and testimonies,
for all my ways are before you.







AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment