Thursday, March 26, 2020

Such Confidence

I was reading Psalm 86 this morning and several things just popped out at me. I wanted to share with you what I saw. I know this is a longer post, but please read Psalm 86 and ponder what I learned with me.

1Bend down, O LORD, and hear my prayer;
answer me, for I need your help.
2Protect me, for I am devoted to you.
Save me, for I serve you and trust you.
You are my God.
3Be merciful to me, O Lord,
for I am calling on you constantly.
4Give me happiness, O Lord,
for I give myself to you.
5O Lord, you are so good, so ready to forgive,
so full of unfailing love for all who ask for your help.
6Listen closely to my prayer, O LORD;
hear my urgent cry.
7I will call to you whenever I’m in trouble,
and you will answer me.
8No pagan god is like you, O Lord.
None can do what you do!
9All the nations you made
will come and bow before you, Lord;
they will praise your holy name.
10For you are great and perform wonderful deeds.
You alone are God.
11Teach me your ways, O LORD,
that I may live according to your truth!
Grant me purity of heart,
so that I may honor you.
12With all my heart I will praise you, O Lord my God.
I will give glory to your name forever,
13for your love for me is very great.
You have rescued me from the depths of death.a
14O God, insolent people rise up against me;
a violent gang is trying to kill me.
You mean nothing to them.
15But you, O Lord,
are a God of compassion and mercy,
slow to get angry
and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness.
16Look down and have mercy on me.
Give your strength to your servant;
save me, the son of your servant.
17Send me a sign of your favor.
Then those who hate me will be put to shame,
for you, O LORD, help and comfort me.

These are the main things I saw:

1. David had no trouble asking God for help!          He asked alot!

Verse 1 - hear my prayer, I need your help.
Verse 2 - protect me, save me.
Verse 3 - Be merciful to me, I am calling on you constantly.
Verse 4 - Give me happines
Verse 5 - I ask for help
Verse 6 - listen closely to my prayer, hear my urgent cry
Verse 7 - I will call to you whenever I'm trouble.
Verse 16 - look down and have  mercy on me. Give your strength to your servant. Save me.
Verse 17 - Send me a sign of your favor.

2. David's confidence in God was great.

Verse 7 - You will answer me
Verse 8 - No pagan god is like you. None can do what you do!
Verse 17 - for you, O Lord, help and comfort me.

3. He was secure in God's love for him.

Verse 5 - so full of unfailing love for all who ask for your help
Verse 13 - for your love for me is very great.
Verse 14 - You are filled with unfailing love and faithfulness 

4. His dedication to God is obvious

Verse 2 - I am devoted to You. I serve you and trust You.
Verse 4 - I give myself to you
Verse 11 - teach me your ways, that I may live according to your truth. Grant me purity of heart that I may honor you.

5. David was full of Praise to God.

Verse 5 - O Lord, you are so good, so ready to forgive, so full of unfailing love for all who ask for help.
Verse 10 - For You are great and perform wonderful deeds. You alone are God.
Verse 12 - with all my heart I will praise You, O Lord my God. I will give glory to your name forever.
Verse 15 - You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion and mercy.

6. David remembered what God had done in the past.

Verse 13 - You have rescued me from the depths of death.

Finally, I noticed that David began will his requests and explaining his devotion to and trust in God, but the latter portion of his prayer was filled with praise to God, dedication of himself to God and confidence toward God and less requests. Interesting.

The conclusion I have come to, in my study of Psalm 86 today, is that I should take lessons from David.

Don't hesitate to ask for help. Put my total confidence in God. Be convinced of God's love for me. Be truly dedicated to God to learn His ways and walk in them. Be full of Praise to God. Remember how He has rescued me in the past. Never stop with my requests. Always continue with Praise to God!





No comments:

Post a Comment