Friday, March 6, 2020

Over the Top

Throughout my life there have been a few people that have been an encouragement to me at crucial times. Unknown to them, their words of encouragement and belief in me put me 'over the top', so to speak. Two of my teachers, when I was in high school, believed in me, at critical times, when I didn't know how much more abuse, rejection and stress I could handle. My biology teacher gave me opportunities to prove myself and show that she believed I could go beyond the average. The other teacher, my literature teacher, gave me some much needed positive words of encouragement. I knew she believed that I had potential. One other person, a co-worker, was nearly daily telling me words of encouragement. She may never have known how much her believing in me and listening to what I shared with sincere interest and kindness motivated me to keep going and helped to embrace who God has created me to be.

There are a few other people that God has brought into my life, at seemingly significant points, that have encouraged me, built me up and helped me to keep going. I am so grateful!

We read in Deuteronomy 1:38 God telling Moses, "Joshua the son of Nun, who stands before you, he shall enter. Encourage him, for he shall cause Israel to inherit it."

Encourage: to grow firm or strong, to strengthen.

We each have a calling, a plan that God, with a vision and a purpose, has created us to fulfill. God has a specific reason. He has given us certain gifts, abilities, talents, skills, interests and desires unique to each one of us, with a view to equipping us to Be who He has created us to Be and fulfill the unique calling He has for our lives. I believe God's plan is where we find our greatest sense of fulfillment in our lives. 

There are many voices and experiences in our lives that work to defeat, discourage, disarm and even to destroy us. It is interesting that God told Moses again in Deuteronomy 3:27-28 that Moses was not going to inherit the Promised Land, "But commission Joshua, encourage him, and strengthen him, for he will cross over ahead of the people and enable them to inherit the land that you will see.”

Do you think that Moses' investment of words and help to encourage and strengthen Joshua  played a necessary and valuable influence on Joshua that was instrumental in Joshua successfully leading God's people into the Promised Land?

I Thessalonians 5:9-11 For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.

Build one another: I erect a building, build; fig. of the building up of character: I build up, edify, encourage,  properly, to build a house (home, edifice); (figuratively) to edify – literally, "build someone up," helping them to stand (be strong, "sturdy").

Words of encouragement that we speak to others, let them know we believe in them. Those words strengthen them and help them to stand. They are far more than just "kind words". They are actually building blocks, 'steps' in helping another Be Who they Be and fulfill the plan of God for their life.

Finally, "So then, we must pursue what promotes peace and what builds up one another. Romans 14:19

Let us help each other to be all they are meant to be. Encourage one another, strengthen and build each other up and work together to fulfill God's plan and purpose for our lives. Who knows who you are helping get to their Promised Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment