Friday, March 13, 2020

When bad news comes....


How do we behave when bad news comes?

Read Mark 5:22-24; 35-36; 41-42
Then came one of the rulers of the synagogue, Jairus by name, and seeing him, he fell at his feet and implored him earnestly, saying, “My little daughter is at the point of death. Come and lay your hands on her, so that she may be made well and live.” And he went with him....
While he was still speaking, there came from the ruler’s house some who said, “Your daughter is dead. Why trouble the Teacher any further?” But overhearing what they said, Jesus said to the ruler of the synagogue, “Do not fear, only believe.”... and went in where the child was. Taking her by the hand he said to her, “Talitha cumi,” which means, “Little girl, I say to you, arise.” And immediately the girl got up and began walking.

1. What was the bad news Jairus received when he and Jesus were on their way to his house where Jairus' sick daughter was?

2. What was the counsel Jesus gave Jairus upon hearing the bad report?

3. What was the end result regarding Jaurus' daughter?

4. Are we taking Jesus' counsel in these situations today? Do not fear. Only Believe!

When David was afraid how did he handle it?
Read Psalm 56:3-4
When I am afraid,
I put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.

Are we praising God's Word or the negative reports of others? What/Who are we putting our trust in? 

Read Psalm 91 "I will say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

Are you resting in the confidence that God is not lying to you as you put your confidence in Him saying "You Are My Refuge". Are you confident that He "Will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the Deadly Pestilence!"

It is essential that we, as "Children of God",  do not behave as those who do not proclaim Jesus is our Lord. Why would we respond in fear or speak fearfully as those without God do? We have the Most High God on our side!

Do not act, think or speak as if we do not!!! How dishonoring and unfaithful to God that way of responding to bad news is.

He is our Help, Our Refuge, our Deliverer, our Healer, our Protector, our Hiding Place... nothing is impossible with Him. He causes us to be More than Conquerors!

So, Do not Fear! Only Believe! Put your trust in Him! Say of the Lord, "You Are My Refuge" Give Him Thanks. He delivers us from the deadly pestilence! Be glad and Rejoice!!! We have the God who cannot lie and fulfills His Word. Our part is to not take the enemy bait which is "fear" and Only Believe!

So, Do Not Fear and Only Believe, put your trust in Him! We are the ones who "Live By Faith" and please God. For without Faith, without putting our trust in God (Only Believing - catch the Only part), it is impossible to please God!!!!

I think about Paul being bit by the viper in Acts 28:3-6. Paul's response to the snake and the outcome of not being affected by the poisonous bite changed the opinions of the natives.

How is our response of faith in God and His Word and the outcome of God showing himself to be mighty on our behalf changing the opinions of those around us who are watching us?

Read Isaiah 41:9-13
‘You are my servant.’
For I have chosen you
and will not throw you away.
Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.
“See, all your angry enemies lie there,
confused and humiliated.
Anyone who opposes you will die
and come to nothing.
You will look in vain
for those who tried to conquer you.
Those who attack you
will come to nothing.
For I hold you by your right hand—
I, the LORD your God.
And I say to you,
‘Don’t be afraid. I am here to help you.



No comments:

Post a Comment